GREENLANDS CHESS CLUB
1. The Chess Club shall be called “Greenlands Chess Club” and shall be affiliated and subject to the rules of the English Chess Federation; in being an affiliated Chess Club and subject to the rules of membership to the Birmingham and District Chess League hereinafter referred to as the BDCL, and Worcestershire Chess Association hereinafter referred to as the WCA.
The Objects of the Chess Club are to foster the playing of chess at Greenlands Chess Club and to promote Greenlands Chess Club within South Birmingham and beyond: to provide facilities where members may meet; play chess and facilitate the Greenlands Chess Club and the Greenlands Chess Academy “activity” and other chess related initiatives.
2. Membership shall be open to all, regardless of age, race or gender; subject to the discretion of the committee of Greenlands Chess Club, provided that the appropriate Subscription Fee is tendered and that entry to the Greenlands Chess Club is not temporarily restricted. If entry is restricted, then applications for membership to Greenlands Chess Club shall be placed on a waiting list and processed in order of receipt.
Receipt of Greenlands Chess Club “Membership Cards” shall remain optional.
3. The supreme authority of Greenlands Chess Club is vested in the General Meeting which alone shall have the power to affect, update or change the Greenlands Chess Club Constitution by way of a vote carried by a majority of at least two to one of those Greenlands Chess Club members present and voting.
A quorum for a General Meeting shall consist of 10 members or one third of the Greenlands Chess Club membership – whichever is less. To carry any proposal at a General Meeting a simple majority of those present and voting, is required; except that to carry a proposal which will affect, update or change the Constitution, a majority of at least two to one of those Greenlands Chess Club members present and voting, is required. The Secretary shall notify all members when a General Meeting is to be held. The Secretary shall give 14 days notice of the date, time, venue and agenda.
4. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall be held on the first available Tuesday, as soon as possible, following on from the final match of the BDCL and WCA league seasons in the months of April to May; when the AGM shall appoint a Committee comprising the following officers of the Chess Club
:i) The President; who shall be in an honorary position given as a mark of respect,
ii) The Chairperson; who shall chair General and Committee Meetings,
iii) The Secretary; who shall maintain and preserve the records of the Chess Club, especially the Minute Book, and be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Chess Club,
iv) The Treasurer; who shall be responsible for management of the Chess Club’s finances,
v) The Assistant Secretary; who shall be responsible for assisting The Secretary,
vi) The Publicity Officer; who shall be responsible for publicity,
vii) The Safeguarding Officer and Deputy Safeguarding Officer; who shall be responsible for all matters of Safeguarding,
viii) The Development Officer; who shall oversee the development of players,
viiii) Further Committee Members may be elected by the AGM, either without portfolio or to fulfil specific roles such as Stewards,
x) Team Captains shall, at the time of appointment, state whether or not they wish to serve on the Committee.
The Committee shall retire annually and shall be eligible for re-election at the AGM. Any club member may nominate any other club member to serve in a role upon the Committee. Any club member may propose an item for inclusion on the agenda of the AGM provided it reaches the Secretary in writing 14 days prior to the AGM.
A copy of the Greenlands Chess Club Constitution should be distributed to all members each year at least 21 days prior to the AGM.
5. A Special General Meeting shall be called by the Secretary within 4 weeks of receiving a written proposal signed by at least ten members or one third of the membership; whichever is the less. No business shall be discharged except that for which the meeting was called. If such proposals are received 4 weeks or less before the AGM then, at the discretion of the Committee, they may be included in the AGM.
An Extraordinary General Meeting shall be called by the Secretary when extraordinary circumstances occur. A variety of business can be placed on the agenda as required. A quorum for an Extraordinary General Meeting shall consist of 10 members or one third of the Chess Club membership – whichever is less. To carry any proposal at an Extraordinary General Meeting a simple majority of those present and voting, is required; except that to carry a proposal which will affect, update or change the Constitution, a majority of at least two to one of those Greenlands Chess Club members present and voting, is required. The Secretary shall notify all members when an Extraordinary General Meeting is to be held. The Secretary shall give 14 days notice of the date, time, venue and agenda.
An informal meeting does not require a quorum and no voting should take place. The Secretary shall give 14 days notice of the date, time, venue and no specific agenda is required.
6. Greenlands Chess Club shall be represented at BDCL and WCA meetings by one or more delegates where possible. One shall be the Secretary (or the nominated deputy) and other representatives shall be appointed by the Committee to represent the interests of Greenlands Chess Club.
7. Greenlands Chess Club Committee shall meet within 12 weeks following the AGM and at other times; as required. A quorum shall be 4 members. The Committee shall have the power to fill any casual vacancy in the Committee and to co-opt onto the Committee additional members. The Committee shall have the power to suspend from the Greenlands Chess Club until the next General Meeting any member deemed to be acting against the interests of the Greenlands Chess Club.
8. Funds shall be expended wholly and exclusively for the furtherance of the Objects of the Greenlands Chess Club. The Treasurer shall prepare a balance sheet and statement of income and expenditure and shall present these to the AGM. The funds shall be held in a Bank or Building Society account in the name of the Greenlands Chess Club.
9. Any funds remaining on dissolution of the Greenlands Chess Club after satisfying any outstanding debts and liabilities shall be held in trust until such time a newly formed Chess Club is named, whether by merger with an existing club or otherwise; and which comprises in part a majority of roughly the same former Greenlands Chess Club membership. If no newly named or merged club is to be formed; funds shall be divided equally between the Birmingham and District Chess League and Worcestershire Chess Association for the furtherance and objects of the respective leagues.